The Earth may be filled with miserable souls who don’t give a damn about the harm man is causing to the environment. But amidst them, there are a blessed few who actually ache seeing the current condition of Mother Earth.
I know many people who actually care but don’t know how to make a change or how to help the environment. If you are also someone who wants to help but doesn’t know how, you must read this. Here are a few very simple ways to go green. You only have to make minor changes in your lifestyle and you’ll be doing your bit for the environment.
- Turn off the lights! I’d not be lying if I said that my father has spent all his life since my brother was born [he is older] to turn! The! Damn! Light! Off! When we leave the room. It used to annoy the hell out of me when I was a child but he managed to incorporate that habit in my family. While his yelling was purely for cutting the electricity bills down, you could follow the same and help the environment! And oh yes, lower electricity bills in the long run are always a delight!
- Stop using paper towels! I have a friend who uses paper towels and paper napkins just because it is ‘cool’ and in her words, ‘everyone does it!’ Seriously, are you kidding me?! How is using paper towels and throwing them away in the bin even remotely cool?! Use cotton fiber towels instead. They are much better because they are absorbent and can be re-used. You will save a lot of money as well as numerous trees from being felled!
- While zooming away in your car is very ‘trendy’, it is not really nice to drive even to a store that is located less than one kilometre away! Walk!! Puts your leg muscles to use for once and walk to the nearby places. Obesity and bad health is a huge problem today. You’ll knock off a few kilos, stay healthy, help the environment and guess what? Save a LOT of money! Petrol is not really ‘affordable’ today now, is it?
- You hate standing in long queues to pay your bills, don’t you? You have an awesome reason to get away from that! Take full advantage of the facilities the internet has bestowed upon all of us and pay your bills online. Not only does it save paper, it saves your sanity! Double benefits, eh?
- I am sure all of you are using cleaners loaded with chemicals to keep your house clean. Did you know that bottle that you rely on to kill germ could cause you and your family a truckload of problems? Oh yes, it can cause allergies and health issues! Simply replace it with organic cleaners free from all kinds of harmful chemicals. These are safer, more efficient and eco-friendly!